Coffee Lover Coffee Snob?

11:30 AM



So I was having a chit chat about coffee and a variety of drinks outside of a standard cup of coffee. I sat back in my chair and had to half smile and snort at myself thinking, "I actually became one of those people."

You see, I had this preconceived notion as a kid that coffee was for adults. At that time, coffee was repulsive to me. Energy drinks and soda were my coffee routine (yikes!) Now and then I would snag a few sips of cappuccino and pretend it was just fancy hot chocolate.

Within my juvenile belief, I was convinced that you weren't an adult until coffee became the pivotal engine to start your school/work day. OR - until it started to taste good, which was complete sorcery to me.

I cannot recall the first time I ever drank coffee. By coffee, I mean an actual brewed cup of coffee, not a store bought chilled sugar bomb with coffee in it. Don't get me wrong, I do love my fair share of those Dunkin Donut and Starbucks Frappuccino bottles but I much prefer my home-brewed excellencies.

If I had to guess, I would think that my position on coffee changed for a health purpose. My drinking habits aforementioned were not quite the best choices and I would never recommend drinking them on a daily basis. There were fragments of time during college and recent life where certain caffeinated drinks had negative side effects on my body. The most notable effects were an alarming heart rate, mild shakes or jitters, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, nightmares. While these side effects occurred randomly from no certain drink in particular, it is all of the chemicals, vitamins, and caffeine entering the body at such a rapid pace and in a strong dose.

When I was in college I was an average 18 year old and by the time I graduated I was 20. It was around this time span that I must have started drinking coffee. At first it became the drink to supply me with the caffeine I wanted to feel good throughout the day, much like a cigarette or drug addict waking up to need that first 'hit'. As wholesome as you might seem, and regardless of where we stand on the word 'addiction' and what people are addicted to, caffeine is most certainly a global addiction - however, there isn't any harm for the average person. Obviously, if you have health issues or allergies, then your case may be different. I know several individuals who are sensitive to caffeine but love tea and coffee. They have to drink half caffeinated or decaf, which totally takes out the fun!

That mindset stems from me having the belief that coffee was strictly a tool to wake you up and power you through the day. The drink didn't matter, it was the caffeine that mattered. While that is one of the primary reasons people drink coffee, a whole new world was peeled open before my eyes.

I've had many kinds of coffee and several brands. I've made drinks at home, bought drinks at work and major businesses, or went to coffee shops where the baristas pour love into their work. You could hand everyone the same roast and each drink will taste different based on their techniques.

At some point coffee began to grow on me for its flavor rather than solely for its effect. As I became more well-versed in what I liked and what I didn't like, I could begin to introduce myself to making my own drinks and using outside ingredients to make the coffee taste even better.

I am still a novice when it comes to coffee but I'd like to think I've come full circle. I went from being the kid who promised myself I'd never drink coffee, because it sucks! Here I am now, the person who is not my best self without coffee. I am also someone who is delighted to discuss coffee and try new drinks and further explore myself and the world around me.

If you are someone who does have a difficult time with caffeine or if health or allergen issues get in the way of experiencing and enjoying coffee. I really hope that there is something out there that you can enjoy to its fullest.

If you are someone who finds coffee as repulsive as I did but a fraction of you wants to like it and be a part of the coffee crew in your circle of friends, just try different things! I urge you to get recommendations from your coffee pals or the baristas themselves. Tell them what you like, what you don't like, and see if the can create something for you that allows you to step into the coffee world without pushing you into unknown territory. If you slowly develop an interest or taste for coffee, I imagine one day you'll be where I am now.


I'm drinking an iced coffee as we speak.

If you would like to know how I prepare my iced coffee:

Coffee Brewer: Ninja Coffee Bar Brewer System

Coffee: Peet's Coffee Major Dickason's Deep Roast
Ingredients: 4tbsp of milk, 2 tbsp of Tate Lyle's Vanilla Coffee Syrup, 5 - 8 ice cubes

Set up your coffee brew system for a single cup brew.
If your machine has an option to brew over ice, please select that option.
Allow it to preheat or remain on standby while you grab a tall glass.
Fill the glass up with your coffee syrup, milk, and ice cubes.
Place the glass under the drip and brew your coffee.
About half of the ice will melt during the brew, so feel free to add more to your preference.
Allow the coffee to finish and it is ready to serve.


I like to use big milkshake straws to swirl my drink around before drinking.
That is completely optional, a spoon works just fine.

My favorite thing  about an iced coffee is watching the layer of milk and syrup dance under the coffee.  That ocean current movement is very stimulating and satisfying to me.

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Do you like the changes to the blog?